Ok, that was insanely hard to figure out. Mainly because their whole computer is in German.
Anyway, I've got it now! It's so great here... Mom, stop worrying, all of my luggage IS here. LUGG-age... meaning it was a pain in the butt to drag through the airports and train stations. Especially since Deutschland decided to greet us with some nice, hot, humid weather. Not so great, compared to the rain we left in Idaho. Ok, nevermind. I'd rather be in the sun..
So, once we actually made it here, there was so much to see! Even in the stations.... but I was concentrating more on not breaking anyone's foot with my ginormous suitcase. I didn't, AND I learned a new word: entschuldigen ( I think that's how you spell it... it means 'excuse me').
My family is really nice... 2 new brothers, Simon(they say it like Seemon... but it makes me laugh so I just say it the American way), and Fabian. Elena's dad knows 4 words in English; Hello, Thank you, and Goodbye. Talk about a crash-course German lesson. It doesn't help that we learned the traditional German, and in this area they speak with a Swabian accent, making it a LOT harder. But, no matter what language problems there are, the food makes up for it. So, so, so good.
The school is a lot different than what I'm used to. For one thing, I SUCK at getting up early, but school starts at 7:30. Most kids ride their bikes to school, but thankfully, today was so far the only day I've had, sorry, GOTTEN to. They don't have the same classes everyday, which is nice in helping to break the routine a little bit. The weirdest thing is the teachers. The kids move from classroom to classroom every hour, but so do the teachers.. it is pretty hectic for them, I bet! My mom wopuld hate it.... she's used to having at least 2 classrooms all to herself! =]
AND there are no drinking fountains. I looked and looked and looked for one the first day (when I went to school and all the other party-pooping Americans stayed home in bed), but eventually gave up and learned to bring a water bottle.... which brings me to their water. Oops, that came out wrong... I made it sound like Mexican water or something. It's not, but I personally don't call it drinkable. They loooove sparrkling water. Ew!! And it looks the same while it's in the bottle... and it doesn't help that the labels are in German.. but you know the difference as soon as it hits your mouth. After that, I stuck to the apple juice.
Oh, I'm pointing out all of the not-so-great stuff! Most of it is awesome, trust me!! It's so green here!! They must have at least 100 plants in their yard. Sorry, 'garden'. Only one minor drawback to that one... I saw a 9-inch long slug last night. No joke! We measured it... well, they measured it, I tried to keep away from it.
Well, as soon as I firgure out how to put pictures up, I will... it might take a while. We went to some pretty cool places, though, so I really want you guys to see some of these pictures!!
Ok, bye for now..
Abi
Monday, June 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
yeah for Abi!!! great commentary, looks like we will have to depend on you for the updates.....where are the other kids!!! can't they figure out the german computers!!!
ps....how's the paper? abi, you know what i mean!!!
glad you are having a good time!
Post a Comment